Sunday, November 9, 2008

Questions part I

What does the term "Gender Queer" mean to you?

What types of people do you think of when you hear the term?

Do you consider yourself to be a "gender queer"? Why/why not?

What are your thoughts on heteronormativity in relation to "gender queers"?

Responses So Far

1. To me, genderqueer means to identify with the opposite sex, in term of mannerisms and mind set. It means falling into an in between category, in which u can't be labeled overly feminine or overly masculine--you're just you.

2. When I hear the term genderqueer I think of my friends and myself. I see an image of a female, who might identify as lesbian or trans--who is a boi. She may dress like a boy and could possibly pass for one too or her dress could appear gender neutral; and her behavior is that of a "tomboy".

3. I definitely consider myself to be genderqueer. I feel that my personality and mannerisms have masculine traits, I don't dress to gender extremes. When I dress in general, I feel like its neutral, but possibly more masculine than feminine.

4. I believe that genderqueer attempts to defy heteronormativity. Many genderqueers abandon gender.

No comments: